In the publication, What You Should Know: A Guide to Developing a Hazardous Materials Training Program, The U.S. Department of Transportation recognizes computer training as a viable alternative and identifies eight distinct advantages of web-based hazardous materials training programs.
1. Provides standardized training ensuring a consistent message
2. Decreases the time employees are out of the office
3. Allows for quick updates for rapidly changing material
4. Training is more accessible to a larger audience
5. Cost effective way to refresh existing training
6. Training is more convenient for employees --it is available anytime, anywhere
7. No travel costs
8. No cost associated with obtaining new media updates
The DOT also states that describes web-based training as avoids the following four classroom pitfalls:
1. Personality conflict between the trainer and trainees
2. Fellow trainees can dictate the pace of the training, leaving some students behind and others bored
3. Difficult to guarantee outcomes
4. Scheduling based on trainer or facility availability, not employee needs
Interested in a custom, group training?