Every year, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) releases a list of the ten most frequently cited safety and health violations for the fiscal year, determined by OSHA inspections of workplaces. Last month, the preliminary (as of Sept. 5, 2017) top ten violations for fiscal year 2017 were announced. Here are the results:
- Fall Protection: General Requirements (1926.501): 6,072 violations
- Hazard Communication (1910.1200): 4,176 violations
- Scaffolding (1926.451): 3,288 violations
- Respiratory Protection (1910.134): 3,097 violations
- Lockout/Tagout (1910.147): 2,877 violations
- Ladders (1926.1053): 2,241 violations
- Powered Industrial Trucks (1910.178): 2,162 violations
- Machine Guarding (1910.212): 1,933 violations
- Fall Protection - Training Requirements (1926.503): 1,523 violations
- Electrical - Wiring Methods (1910.305): 1,405 violations
According to the National Safety Council, the final report on the top ten violations for 2017 will be published in the December edition of the Council's Safety+Health Magazine.
Looking for additional information? Here at Triumvirate, we understand that OSHA's standards are very detailed and can be confusing without assistance. That's why we're here to help! Please click the button below to join us for an upcoming webinar featuring an analysis of these violations from one of our compliance experts. We will review changes from last year's list, an analysis of the regulations and insight into the most common violations, as well as recommendations for avoiding OSHA citations and maintaining compliance.