6 Steps to Take When Rolling Out Your Pharmaceutical Waste Management Program
Here are the steps you need to take to build out a thorough and successful pharmaceutical waste management program. For more details on what to do during the meetings and phases outlined below, download this guide here.
Here are the steps:
- Develop a Pharmaceutical Waste Program Order of Operations
- Pre Rollout Planning
- Hold Initial Group (EH+S, Pharmacy, Nursing, EVS) - Committee Kickoff Meeting
- Confirm group's consensus for program plan
- Fact Finding Phase
- Obtain and characterize formulary (NDC #, Brand Name, Generic Name, Form) in Excel
- Review non-formulary items if any
- Determine optimal collection method, number of buckets, generator status, etc.
- Determine Training route of operation / strategy with (nursing, pharmacy, EVS) and determine "Go Live" date for optimized program
- Review reverse distribution documentation
- Operational Phase
- SAA walkthrough and optimization
- Create final SAA list, labels, signage, etc.
- Develop policy and procedure's
- Develop training module and net learning module / competency quiz
- Conduct review and finalization of all labels, signage, policy and procedure, SAA list eview, etc.
- Training and Education Phase
- Work with nursing, environmental service and pharmacy to identify training schedule, training locations, times, dates, projector, screen, site specific sign in sheets, etc.
- Setup "super user" training with applicable personnel: nurse managers, nursing education, EVS director, Pharmacy director, EH+S, etc.
- Perform trainings
- Identify Program Review timeline
- Build final program packet and deliver to pharmacy, nursing, etc.
- Go Live
- Final Meeting
- Hold post rollout meeting to identify any modifications
To develop your own pharmaceutical waste management program, download this 3-step guide in the link below.